Statistics show African-Americans, Hispanics and other minority groups are still weathering certain illnesses including diabetes, heart disease and cancer at higher rates than non-minority groups. They are also less likely to engage in preventative health care.
April is National Minority Health Month. This observance is a call to reduce and eliminate the racial and ethnic health disparities. It is also a call to a healthier lifestyle.
Experts advise making healthy food choices and exercising regularly are effective ways of managing and even preventing diseases.
At the Lorain Public Library System we strive to provide you with the latest information in a variety of formats so you can make informed decisions.
Check out the list of books and websites we recommend and stay healthy! Follow the links for more detailed information on health disparities and improving your health by eating and exercising right. Some links have information also in Spanish.
LPLS offers fitness classes in April and May including Zumba, Tai Chi, and Line Dancing. We also have a collection of fitness courses on DVDs, and a collection of health and fitness magazines. See our event listing on the LPLS calendar online at www.LorainPublicLibrary.org.
Reserve books, CDs and DVDs with your Lorain Public Library System Greater Access card by calling your nearby Lorain Public Library System Library or online at www.LorainPublicLibrary.org.
Follow Us on Twitter
- Popular Books And DVDs You Can Catch Up With This Memorial Day Weekend
- Get Deep Discounts On Books At Domonkas Branch Library This May
- Dig Into Reading This Summer With The Lorain Public Library System’s Summer Reading Program
- Shred Your Documents For Free At Our Main Library Saturday, May 25
- Invest In Your Community! Support The Foundation Of The Lorain Public Library System, Inc.
- Meet The Breeds: See Over A Dozen Dogs At Our Main Library Saturday, May 4
- Read Poetry From The Winner Of Our Zombie Haiku Contest
- An Educated Boater Is A Safe Boater: Attend An Ohio Boater’s Education Course At Our Columbia Branch Library